Tuesday 17 September 2013

Book Review: The Mine by John A. Heldt (Northwest Passage #1)

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: The Mine

Author:  John A. Heldt

Publication Date:  February 12, 2012

Publisher: Kindle edition

Goodreads - Amazon







Summary:


In May 2000, Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of Whirlaway, swing dancing, and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE is a love story that follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come.

My Thoughts:


I got this book in a exchange for a review from the author.

I liked the synopsis very much and so I began reading. First thing is that Mr. Heldt is a really good writer. I enjoyed his style very much. The book started slow for me, but sfter some time I didn't want to stop, and was reading to know what would happen next. I liked how 1940th is described, and I liked how Joel was accustoming to this era. And I was on the same question Joel was, if you know future, would I have told about Pearl Harbor or not? Would I prevent that, and unexpectantly cause a new? But while Joel knew people as memorials, now he got to know them as people, and that was the dilemma.

I couldn't stop reading after Joel meets Grace. And I liked all that courtsy, but sometimes it lacked "the steem". My first thought was that it would ahve been better to see more that a "deep kiss", but after I thought about it, I came with a conclusion, that's a 20th century we are speaking about, and what the author gave us was what we really needed. A true love.

The last pages made me cry and glue a smile after I read the last page. I wanted to keep reading. And I'm really happy that there is a sequel planned, which is expected to be out in 2013. It was the first time I have read history fiction. And I guess I took it because I love history, and I am not disspointed I did, I really liked the book. And would recommend to those who seek to read about true love in a really good writing style. I have to thank again Mr. Heldt not only for writing this great book, but also for contacting me and giving me such great opportunity. I enjoyed it very much, and will recommend it to all my frinds. 

So guys! Enjoy the book, and Happy Reading!! If you read the book, write what you thought about it, and if not, what are your expectations??? :)) 

My Rating:


Characters   4/5
Writing           5/5
Cover           4/5
Plot              4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment