Friday 22 November 2013

Book Review : Beyond by S.P. van der Lee (Beyond #1)



Summary (from Goodreads)

Title:  Beyond

Author:  SP. Van Der Lee

Publication Date:  25 November, 2013

Publisher:  

Goodreads – Amazon – Barnes & Noble






Summary:


 Sixteen-year-old Raven desperately wants to fit in, but after using a Ouija Board, her already overwhelming hallucinations take a turn for the worse. A ghostly figure named Sam begins to haunt Raven and seems eager to kill her.
She’s saved by a reclusive biker named Damian who goes to the same school and appears to have an interest in her. Raven can’t help but feel drawn to him. Determined to uncover Damian’s connection to the ghost, Raven sets out to discover his secret and the reason Sam started haunting her. However, there’s more at stake than just her reputation. Raven’s choice between unveiling Damian’s true intentions, and living a normal life will put everyone she cares about at risk. To save them, she'll have to go beyond.

Lives are ruined.
Hearts are shattered.
Death lurks at every corner.



My Thoughts:


Well, it’s not a secret that I hate books where the couple is one ghost one human, why? Well, no matter how good the author is, or how great he/she tries to make the ghost appear normal, it’s futile for me. While I am not a big fan of happy endings and would enjoy that everything ends like life does. But with ghost it’s not normal and doomed from the beginning, the relationship I mean. And I mean while you can have a figuratively normal life with other supernatural beings, with ghosts it’s doomed. So when I got the request to review this book, and I read the word ghosts, I was already writing: no thank you, when I noticed that the romance is between two humans or I should rather say one has an ability. What is it? Read on and find out.

Life was never easy for Raven. She moved a lot with her mother, because of her crazy paranoia. And the best thing, well Raven sees ghosts, but she has believed all her life they are all but crazy hallucinations. Moving to new town, doesn’t need to be hard after all, but what to do when your hallucinations are more vivid , when there is a gorgeous boy next door, who has rescued you, and now doesn’t want to say that’s it’s true? What would you do if you find that the boy you love has a secret and that your mother has lied to you all your life, and made you believe you were crazy? Grab your copy of Beyond now to read this and much more.

The book is very good. It has a really good mystery in it and cliffhanger in the end that leaves you screaming for the second book. Well. That’s what I did. While Raven is great and you like her from the beginning,  Damian her love interest is so frustrating you would want to strangle him. Who the hell kissed the girl in the ghost form, knowing that she will know him as soon as he kisses her in flesh and then keeps his distance from her accusing her of everything??? And saying: sorry it was a mistake??? Bastard! But in the end I did get a hang on him, and liked him. And my favourite person as always the villain – Sam aka the bad guy, could have been written a little bit better, I still have so many questions about him, guess everything will be revealed in the upcoming books.

And well, I can agree with Raven, I would have shouted and even strangled my own mother if she made me believe that I was crazy. Really how twisted is that? And don’t anyone dare compare her to Jocelyn Fraichild  (Clary’s mom from TMI series) she at least didn’t make her own daughter take drugs and tell her that she was crazy.


I think you will like the nook very much. I hope you will. It has its own uniqueness in it which got me hooked. And if I got you interested grab or preorder your copy now. Happy reading!!!! Don’t forget to leave comments! Enjoy the book!!! J J



My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment