Thursday 22 August 2013

Review: The Rise of Hotel Dumort by Cassandra Clare ( Bane Chronicle # 5 )

   

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: The Rise of the Hotel Dumort

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publication Date: 20th August 2013

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books

Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble






Summary:


In 1920s Manhattan, Magnus Bane hobnobs with the elite at a glamorous Jazz Age hotspot.

The immortal Magnus Bane is making the most of his time in the Roaring Twenties: He's settled into New York society and is thriving among the fashionable jazz set. And there is nowhere better to see and be seen than the glamorous Hotel Dumort, a glittering new addition to the Manhattan landscape. But a different type of glamour may be at play...

Personal Thoughts:


While reading The Mortal Instruments series, I was always interested what really happened to hotel Dumort, why was is so shabby, and its habitats were Vampires. Though I had really high hopes on this novel, unfortunately it was the worst so far. I like Magnus Bane, and was really looking forward to reading stories about him, because in some ways they tell us something about characters and events from TMI and TID like #3 and #4 novel in Bane Chronicles. But even though I like Magnus, like his style of living, somehow, this particular novel didn't get to me. Yes, I read it in like 30 minutes, but the 1/3 of it was how Magnus was having his parties, and the point of the novel, I mean telling us more about Hotel Dumort was in 2-3 pages max. Yes, we know Magnus is super cool, and WOW he closed the portal to the void, but really, the Rise of the hotel and the downfall was in like max 1 hour? That's really uninteresting. And I really like how Cassandra Clare writes, but somehow she is really not doing the best of her on this short stories. I really can read both Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series non stop, and I think I have read them about 7 times and still find something new. But not with this short stories.  So, to cut it short, I didn't like the story that much, but who know maybe you would :)) 


Rating:


Character   3/5
Writing        3/5
Cover           3/5
Plot               4/5




    

No comments:

Post a Comment