Wednesday 21 August 2013

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (Syrena Legacy #1)


         


Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: Of Poseidon

Author: Anna Banks

Publication Date: 22nd May 2012

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble



 Summary: 

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


Personal Thoughts:

I was out of my books when I found this one. I was really intrigued on the whole mermaid theme, because I myself haven't read anything about mermaids. I read some reviews on Goodreads, some people really liked it and some really hated it, so I thought why not to give it a hit?

The books is told from 2 different point of views, though I thought it was more like from Emma's point of view and author's who was just telling Galen's ideas from the 3rd person ( and basically it had to be just plain Galen's point of view, that would have been so much more interesting). I didn't like that very much, I mean, if you ( author) want to tell it from the 3rd person, just write the whole book like that why jump from 1st person ( Emma) to you? The book is about a teen - Emma who's best friend dies in a shark attack, and who meets a young man - Galen, who is a prince of Syrena ( he is a merman ) and she finds out that she also is a Syrena. And now Galen has to convince Emma to fulfill some duties to his world.

The main Character Emma, is nice, she is a good friend. She is not that bitchy and whiny, which I liked about her. I understood her pain when her best friend Chloe died, and I wasn't all that judgemental why was he so out of tune. I liked how Emma was becoming "new Emma".  How she was falling for Galen. She is a really good, kind and just plain good character, nothing extaordinary, which would have made me adore her, but, she still was a good character.
Emma's love interes Galen. Understanding him was a real challenge, and everytime I was reading from "his side" I was always like please just skip it, and let's see how's Emma. All his secrecy, all his : " I think I'm falling for Emma, blah blah...." I just wanted to kill myself.  Seriously, just tell her the truth and get it over with, but now, he has to be keeping secrets, and then they have to shout at each other, dah... 
As for secondary characters like Ryana ( Galen's sister),  Toraf  (Rayana's mate ) Rachel ( Galen's assistent/ex-mafia/"mom" ) and of course Emma's mother. All of them are good described, for me there was not extra information about them, everything was just to the point. But give it to Anna, the cliffhanger with which she ended the first book, was really good, and made me jump right into the second one.

To say the truth, I didn't have real big expectations on this book, and even though the book was easy to read, and I really got lost into it, after maybe 2-3 days I totaly forgot everything, not everything but the majority. Like I even now remember some of the quotes form the books, which I have read years ago, but nothing from of Poseidon. But, the book is really worth a try, so if you are a fan of mermaids, or never read about them, give of Poseidon a try, maybe you will like it more then I did. :)) 

My Rating:

Writing             3/5
Characters      3/5
Cover                4/5
Plot                    3/5







No comments:

Post a Comment