Thursday 18 February 2016

Manga Review: Sand Chronicles by Hinako Ashihara




Title: Sand Chronicles
Original Title: Sunadokei
Author: Hinako Ashihara
Artist: Hinako Ashihara 

Year of Release: 2003
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Shoujo, Slice of Life

Status: Completed
Chapters (Translated in English): 21

Volumes & Chapters: 

10 Volumes in Total
8 Volume the story, 2 Volumes bonuses


Summary


After her parents divorce, Anna Uekusa and her mother move from Tokyo to rural Shimane. Used to the anonymity of city living, An can't get used to the almost overbearing kindness of the people in her mother's hometown. But when personal tragedy strikes, An discovers how much she needs that kindness.

In 2005 Sand Chronicles was awarded the 50th Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo manga.


My Thoughts


Review covers 21 chapters 

Right now, as I’m writing this review it’s the end of December, though I’m sure it will go live either in February or in March. I started reading it back in November during my midterms and because there are only 7 volumes uploaded on mangafox (it’s licensed right now so go to mangahere.co), I had to wait until Christmas to get the remaining 3. However, the main story ends at vol.8 and the last 2 volumes are bonus stories.

I remember I was quite reluctant to start this manga as I thought it only had 2 chapters, but when I finally scrolled to see the chapters I saw that there were 7 complete volumes. I started right away and regretted it immensely. I finished it in one day and was sulking for the net 2 weeks because I didn’t have all volumes, typical me. The story has this weird charm that sucks you in and don’t let go. The author covers the lives of her heroes from 12 to 16 year old, each chapter is a different timeline and it makes the story so much more fascinating. You can clearly say that it is a psychological romance story. It’s not the relationship between Ann and Daigo that makes you want to read on, though that too, but the psychological aspect of the story. The character development, Ann’s numerous breakdowns and the break-up is just too hard to comprehend. All the little things make this story astonishingly realistic and make you wonder what if it was you? Or is that I portrayed there?

I remember when I finally finished the story some part of me felt completed. It is not your average romance. Every character is broken and rebuilt numerous times and the happy ending is so satisfying. The author stresses a lot on the characters and especially on human weaknesses, the tragedies that happen in this story are very real and could make you think about yourself and your surroundings more. However, in order to understand everything that is happening in this story you’ll have to read it. You need to witness that fantastic relationship that Ann and Daigo were building, and you have your heart broken numerous times, because, come on, that’s like this story captures the life with all its ups and downs. Are you ready to experience this life? Trust me once you finish you will become addicted to Hinako Ashihara’s works, well I surely did, though the next review will not be coming soon as the story is not fully translated and I might have to buy the German volumes to read it to the end. But forget about that!

Sand chronicle is a work that I believe should be read by everyone. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment