Thursday 25 February 2016

Manga Review: Our Love is As Painful As Reaching Death by Haruko Kurumatani


Title: Our Love is As Painful As Reaching Death
Original Title: Bokura no Koi wa Shi ni Ita
Author: Haruko Kurumatani
Artist: Haruko Kurumatani

Year of Release: 2010
Genres: Drama, Mature, Psychological, Romance, Shoujo, Smut, Tragedy

Status: Completed
Chapters (Translated in English): 20

Volumes & Chapters: 

3 Volumes in Total


Summary


As a child, Beniko had two close friends, Umi and Sora. They were twin brothers that lived next door but due to his "Brother-Complex" jealousy Umi stopped being friends with her and soon moved away. Sora stayed and he and Beniko devoloped a relationship but later tragedy hit as he tried to save Beniko. Umi reapears with the same voice, looks, but a more twisted personality than before. How will Beniko confront the twisted love and affection given to her by Umi, instead of from Sora?!

My Thoughts


Review covers 20 chapters 

What the hell did just happen? I don’t get this; seriously did he just lose his mind completely? No, I knew that Beniko was nuts, but her last statements made me feel like: “Ah, now she’s finally broken and will never be whole.” But, well, sorry for my outburst right now, but I really needed this, and if you have read this story, you do understand me, if you still have to read it, trust me the last pages will leave you so shocked you’ll be screaming and cursing.

So what do I have here for you? This is a work that I have been reading for more than 2 years. Don’t get me wrong. It’s only 20 chapters, but when I first started it there were only 9 chapters uploaded in English and Russian. It was by pure chance that I checked the website for updates on this particular title and got to know that apparently they uploaded all chapters. I was overjoyed and even forgot that it was already past 12. I needed to know how the story would end, and my expectations were not ruined. The author just put me through such a great shock and revelation I still doubt I read everything correctly. And trust me, I reread the last chapter for ore than 20 times in different languages. I even found it in Japanese to be sure that I got the last name correctly.

I have read a number of works by Haruko Kurumatani, but none of them were as deep and sadistic as this one. From the very first chapter until the end we only see the “love” once. And the idea that it does exist makes this story even crueler and asks the reader: “are you feeling this?” “What would you have done?” I remember every time I read the story (which was only half uploaded) I was always imagining how the author would turn it around and give us the love that she descried in the very beginning. Did she? That’s for you to find out. The only thing that I will say now is that the author explored the feelings of hatred and love so closely that it’s frightening. The cruelty, madness that is in Umi’s eyes is something that not many author or artists can recreate. He truly is a sadist and a madman. However, no matter what, if you do despise his character for tormenting Beniko, you can’t not share some of his madness. And that is what makes this story so frightening.

Author without any restraint explored the thin line between love and hatred and gives us a twisted form of love, which can also be called “true love”. Are you ready to explore this frighteningly beautiful world of mutual and unrequited love? Are you ready to meet the characters that will question your sanity numerous times in 20 chapters? If you are, the I’m sure you will enjoy this story. It is a fantastic piece of art and now that it is complete translated and uploaded there’s absolutely nothing that might hold you from reading and experiencing it.

Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below. Especially your thoughts on the last chapter. Who do you think it is Umi or Sora? Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment