Friday 5 February 2016

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter (The Goddess Test #1)




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: The Goddess Test

Author: Aimee Carter

Publication Date: 19 April 2011

Publisher: Harlequin teen







Summary:



Every girl who had taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.
If she fails...


My Thoughts:



This book as well as other books that have appeared on my blog recently has been on my reading list for ages. However, I finally made up my mind and got the first book. I wasn’t sure I would be doing a review, as I’ll be cutting down the reviews on the blog due to lack of studies.

But let me get back to the story. It is a very interesting story, however, some parts made me expect more than it actually was. Do you remember the story of Persephone? Yup, the queen of the Underworld. So, now you’re thinking: “Ah, it’s another that kind of story, where the death or king of underworld falls in love with the mortal.” Not precisely, the story is very similar to the Persephone myth, with one difference Hades doesn’t really fall in love with the girl, well not in the beginning. Enjoy an absolutely new idea about Persephone myth, you’ll really love this version more, well I did. It portrays Hades, as he really is – a very lonely man. But let me talk more about the book itself.

Met Kate Winters, a young girl whose mother is dying of cancer and they relocate to her hometown – Eden. A lot of stuff happens before and after, but the one thing you need to know now is that Henry aka Hades offers Kate a deal, she’ll have to say with him in Eden Manor through fall and winter, pass some tests and if she does she’ll get her prize – immortality. But does she really want it? That’s for you to find out. One thing that was a total pushover was the romance between Henry and Kate. I could see how Kate fell in love, if you ask me it was a total Stockholm syndrome, but I didn’t push it, as I also wanted these two together. However, with Henry it’s still a mystery. He was bound to fall in love with her but I would have liked to see more of it. 

Everything said, it’s a really nice story and don’t get discouraged by my rating. That’s just me trying to put my expectations and reality into numbers. Enjoy the beginning of love story between a God and a mortal. It’s quite interesting. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favoruite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie



My Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment