Friday 15 April 2022

ARC Review: The Reluctant Bride by Monica Murphy (The Arranged Series #1)

The Reluctant BrideThe Reluctant Bride by Monica Murphy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review.

KC Rating: ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ / ๐ŸŒถ.5

If you are following me on TikTok, you’d most probably have seen one of my rants there how I was confused in the very beginning of this book, as apparently it is part of a collection that I never knew existed.

But Let’s be honest here, 3 years away from my book blog, which I spent reading textbooks and Chinese web novels and WEBTOON didn’t quite scream me being on top of what’s going on in book community. So once, I was done with my certification it was time to dive back in, and find out a think called Bookstagram and BookTok. And apparently a new publisher - Dangerous Press with amazing authors!

But let’s talk about this book! For those who are like me and have never heard about midnight dynasty collection, well, you’re in for a surprise, several authors banded together to bring us stories of Constantines and Morelli’s whose feud has not only transgressed the time but also space and imagination of several fabulous authors.

Personally as of today, I have only just slightly dabbed in the collection by reading Deception Duet by K. Webster and Reluctant Bride by Monica Murphy, but there’s a whole new exciting world to be uncovered, which I will be digging in once I’m at least half way through my never ending TBR for April.

So, let’s dig in!

I have mixed feeling about the book. I loved it, I read it at record speed (once I got off work), but at the same time, I thought it was missing something. P.S. Ending on a cliffhanger, seriously not good, plus I need to wait for like 4 months now to get to read what’s going on next! (I’m literally crying right now!).

Characters were great, I liked Charlotte, she was great, though honestly she was a bit slow to realise that getting married to Perry would be her chance to get out of her house. In addition, she was your usual damsel in distress character (she did have a backbone every now and then, but still she definitely won’t be ending up on my list of Queens.

But then again, if you think about it, Charlotte’s character suited the plot and it was great to read about her.

Perry, now Perry was someone that I had definite mixed feelings about. In my vocabulary he’s that weird boyfriend material, that needed this push so that he could grow up, and I do hope to see more of this character development in the future books! One thing was for certain, the man new how to flirt and be sassy!

And trust me, Charlotte’s interaction with Perry was something to look forward to. Sassy and full of fun banter. And that moment when she said that she’s interested to hear what he liked to do! ๐Ÿ˜ป

Which brings me to one point which I was a bit disappointed in. I was looking forward to more spice, we do have a really nice spicy scene, but that was kind of not enough. At some point I was even thinking if I’ll be left without a good $ex scene and would have to be waiting for book 2.

Now plot-wise, the plot was nicely thought out, but it was sometimes dragging on, and one thing that I did love is the foreshadowing of something big being at work, because the marriage of Constantine’s and Lancasters and the whole contact seems a bit shady to me. So fingers’ crossed for a major twist to be coming very very soon. (My paranoid brain sees way to many conspiracies).

For those who think: “I haven’t read the Midnight Dynasty, will I be able to get what’s going on?”
Yes you’ll definitely understand everything. Because we get some explanations, as to who characters are, but let me be honest, you’ll want to know everyone’s stories (I did), so do check back here or to my IG or TikTok because I will definitely be reading other books as well.

XOXO

Katie

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment