Thursday 2 November 2017

Book Review: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices #1)



Title: Lady Midnight

Author: Cassandra Clare

Series: The Dark Artifices #1

Publication Date: 8 March 2016

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books







Summary:



In a kingdom by the sea…

In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.

parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.

Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder to shoulder with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of Los Angeles, where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries—the most powerful of supernatural creatures—teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries turn up murdered in the same way Emma’s parents were when she was a child, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma’s chance for revenge—and Julian’s chance to get back his brother Mark, who is being held prisoner by the faerie Courts. All Emma, Mark, and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks…and before the murderer targets them.

Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. And each clue she unravels uncovers more secrets. What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?

The darkly magical world of Shadowhunters has captured the imaginations of millions of readers across the globe. Join the adventure in Lady Midnight, the long-awaited first volume of a new trilogy from Cassandra Clare.


My Thoughts:



I'm sure everyone remembers my outburst after I read the City of Heavenly Fire. I even remembered how I swore I wouldn't get the sequel because I was too let down with Sebastian turning into a good guy before he died... don't turn my favourite villains of all times into wishy-washy teenagers asking for forgiveness...

However, if you've been following my Instagram, you would have noticed that during July 2017 during my trip to Italy, the book magically appeared on some of my pictures in different stages of reading it. The story behind it? As a recent graduate, I went on a trip to Italy, specifically Tuscany to celebrate it. And as I didn't want to be bothered by a lot of luggage and especially by my gadgets, I only brought my necessities: phone, camera, headphones, selfie stick and power bank. My iPad, stayed home, thus, even if I did have access to my library through my phone I need the battery to be alive for all the pictures I was taking! And don't forget that my whole Physical book library got relocated back to Georgia, and I wasn't going to read Economics or strategy books on my trip! Nada! 

Thus while in Athens Airport, I saw the book and even if I was searching for something different to read, I was not in the mood for Elliot, so I got it. 

For the first few days the reading was kinda slow, guess, I was always too exhausted to read after a day full of exploration. But after an evening in the Piazza del Miracoli, (that's where the Leaning Tower is) which I spent lying on the grass reading, and then reading the book on the train, I finished it 1 full day earlier than I expected. Which means I was bookless for my last day in Florence and then the trip back home... you cannot even imagine how sour I looked and it didn't help that none of the bookstores were selling anything interesting much less the second book. 
And yes, I liked it enough to run around Florence and Rome Airport in search of the second book. If you're wondering if I got it, well, no idea, I'm flying over Mediterranean right now. LOL

Anyway, if you were like me, absolutely disappointed in the 6th book of Mortal instruments and gave up hope for this one, well, think twice about it. As while Clare might suck as endings, she's definitely fantastic at suspense and the thrill of the book! Let's not forget that i was reading the paperback, and for me that equals even bigger satisfaction from the book. I mean, I climbed the Bell Tower in Florence (463 steps) and then sat at the nook reading the book! Sorry, for once again cutting in with my trip details into the review. 

Anyhow, you'll get to meet some of our favourite characters and no, i'm not talking about Jace and Clary, they do appear, but i'm talking about Jem and Tessa here! Yes, my cute couple from TID is back in the action and their secrets and finding will totally shock you! But before they come to the light, we'll have to meet Blackthorns and Carstair(s) and get to know Los Angeles like pros! There are many secrets that might be revealed, and even more will be left for us to wonder! But you'll be spending the hours reading on edge, trying to know what is happening and why! Who's the mastermind behind all of this. And that ending! OMG!!! Mark! He just made me squeal so much and then fan myself even more!!! But the cliffhanger is definitely something that I was expecting but it still came as a slight shock to me. What is it? That's for you to find out, but trust me, you don't want to miss another love story, this time a love that is illegal but so sweet! And while i totally ship Christina and Mark, I do want to see how the love stories will end! Will we have a happy ending similar to TID? Or will we have a jolt of harsh reality that sometimes we don't get what we want? 

Enjoy it to your fullest and don't forget to share your thoughts below! If you've read the book, please comment who you are shipping with whom! We can always have fun, even if our ships are different! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos! Don't miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading! 

XOXO 


KATIE  

My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment