Monday 19 October 2015

Manga Review : I'm No Angel! by Takako Shigematsu



Title: I'm No Angel!
Original Title: Tenshi Ja Nai!
Author: Takako Shigematsu
Artist: Takako Shigematsu

Year of Release: 2003
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Gender Bender, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice of Life

Status: Completed 
Chapters (Translated in English): 40

Volumes & Chapters: 8 Volumes

Volume 1 Chapters 1-5                    Volume 5 Chapters 21-25 
Volume 2 Chapters 6-10                  Volume 6 Chapters 26-30
Volume 3 Chapters 11-15                Volume 7 Chapters 31-35
Volume 4 Chapters 16-20                Volume 8 Chapters 36-40

Summary


In the play of life, all Hikaru Takabayashi wanted was to be part of the scenery. Tormented by jealous schoolmates ever since she appeared in a famous commercial in grade-school, Hikaru transfers to a prestigious all-girls' academy where she hopes to settle down to a quiet life of anonymity. But when her new roommate turns out to be the super-popular TV idol Izumi Kido, Hikaru finds herself thrown smack in the spotlight's glare once more!

And as if living with a celebrity wasn’t bad enough, Hikaru discovers that there’s more to Izumi than her “good girl” image—she’s a he! And this is only the first of Izumi's many dangerous secrets! Now Hikaru’s the unwilling star player in a madcap tale of deception, abduction, humiliation and blackmail...


My Thoughts


Review covers 40 chapters 

Hi everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I have a very nice manga for you. It’s a perfect dormitory romance with gender bender. Normally I do not really enjoy gender bender mangas, and if I come around one, I usually avoid. But then I have many that are my favourites. And this one is a perfect example.

I enjoyed this story a lot. Every character had a unique story to tell, and I liked reading about all of them. Definitely my favourites were Hikaru, Izumi and well Ayase-sensei too. Though the last one disappointed me a lot. However, if he didn’t dump Hikaru, she wouldn’t have realized her feelings for Izumi, this story was a lot similar to Charming Junkie. The main male characters both have to cross-dress as girls and work in show biz world. However, here, Izumi was action as a man. I mean it, he never let go of his manly side and he always makes Hikaru remember it.

There are many moments when his secret is at stake and Hikaru is always by his side. About Hikaru, I greatly enjoyed her character. She was very real, her shyness as well as her personality that she developed after being bullied. We get to see how she overcomes her fears and how she blossoms into a beautiful flower. Was Izumi’s secret found out in the end? As if I’ll tell you that. You have to read it for yourself. And you’ll love the ending, though if you ask me there should have been the at least more chapters, with just those two. But well we get what the author thought was necessary.

I hope you’ll find some time to read this great manga. It teaches us a lot and we get to see a lot of character development. There are many fun moments, but there are also many serious ones too. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie 


Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment